Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Giving the Credit to God

Perhaps you’ve heard this story before, but let me tell it again.  A  photographer was invited to dinner at the home of an acquaintance.  In the course of conversation the hostess said to the artist, “Your photos are so amazing, you must have an incredible camera.”  The man replied, “Thank you, and this meal you prepared is delicious, you must own a fantastic stove.”  While the hostess thought she was giving the man a sincere compliment, the way she worded it robbed the photographer of his talent, skill and effort, bestowing it instead on the camera.

 Let’s face it, we all love to be complimented on our talents, it’s well deserved and encouraging.  I believe that God has given every person, Christian or not, special, personally designed gifts, or skills.  We all know folks who excel in music, sports, art, writing, design, etc., and more often than not, we say they have a god-given talent.  Many people, when complimented with that phrase, will smile and say thank you.  However, there are those who will say, “god schmod“, this talent developed only because of my own hard work!”

The question I’d like to pose today is, how much credit can we take for our gifts, and how much does God deserve?  Jesus addressed this issue when he replied to a person who had called him “good teacher”.  "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.” Mark 10:18.  Even the photographer would have to admit that his pricey , top of the line Canon  camera and lens did play a part in his ability to take awesome pictures. Jesus, instead of accepting the kind words for himself, gave the credit solely to God. Sure Jesus was good, no one can argue that, but he wanted everyone listening to know that the source of his goodness, and all his talents was God.

 I love it when people tell me they like my photos, but I admit it’s easy to take the credit for myself.  When I first started in photography, my mother told me that my gift was “en Theos” which is Greek for God inspired.  If I ever start my own business that is what I will call it…en Theos, God inspired photography.   Think about your own gifts today, and I‘m not talking about the spiritual ones, how are you using them, and who is getting the kudos?  There‘s nothing wrong with accepting compliments, but as Christians we constantly need to give the ultimate kudos to God. “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.” 1 Cor. 12:4-6.


No comments:

Post a Comment