Monday, October 27, 2014

Wishing and Hoping

“I just hope I can make it to Heaven.”  Of all the statements that a Christian can make, this one is, to me, the saddest.  I mention it because a friend of mine repeats this phrase, in various forms, almost daily. Maybe I’m missing something, but my hope is based on Jesus’ saving work on the cross. I have no doubts of making it to Heaven.  He, and the apostles,  reiterate, throughout scripture,  the same thing, BELIEVE, and you will be saved.

Sure it seems impossible that anyone could make a claim like that, but Jesus, as God’s son, isn’t just anyone.  If he tells us that He purchased our salvation, I believe it.  How dare we doubt the veracity not only of his word, but of his death and resurrection. Was Jesus a liar?  Did I miss the part where he said we have to do other things to complete his sacrifice?  Can anything I do add to his righteousness?  Of course not!

So, why then do so many so-called believers, not believe.  Sadly, I think that the “church“, over the last 2000+ years, in an attempt to keep people coming, made us put our faith more in doctrine than Christ. Shame, shame!!!  Dangling salvation, like a juicy carrot before us, they kept adding to the list of requirements for admission. Unfortunately, they never say when you have accumulated enough “points”, so the uncertainty continues, and so do the “religious acts”.

The author of Hebrews encourages us with this: Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. Hebrews 7:27.  Did you catch that, Once, and for all.  Then he says,  “I will never again remember their sins and lawless deeds.” And when sins have been forgiven, there is no need to offer any more sacrifices. Hebrews 10:17-18.

Please don’t put your faith in anyone, or anything other than the word of God.  I could list verses all day long that prove the promise of Christ, but they don’t mean a thing unless you accept personally Jesus as your savior.  And that’s the only truth to trust.  Today, begin to break free from the shackles of uncertainty.  Get into His word, for yourself….test him if you want, He wants you to truly BELIEVE.



No comments:

Post a Comment