Monday, December 17, 2012

Return to God


My Mom and Dad live in Springfield, MO, in an old-fashion neighborhood that is so pleasant to stroll around.  Every home, built circa 1950s, is unique in style, and just down the street is the Delaware Elementary School.  Every time I’ve walked by the neat brick building, I’ve mentioned that it reminds me of the school that Theodore “Beaver” Cleaver attended. I’m sure I’ve been by Delaware school numerous times, over the years, but on Saturday this warning sign, jumped out at me.  It’s been there for quite some time, by the looks of it, without me taking heed of it, but after the horrific shootings on 12/14, it finally caught my attention.   Neither the Beav, nor I, could in our wildest 50’s child minds,  have conceived of  our schools displaying a public notice like this. The only “weapons” that might have made it past Mr. Goldberg, our 6’9” principal, would have been spit balls, rubber bands and the occasional water gun.  Oh brother, you sure didn’t want to take the chance, because a trip to the principal’s office was not fun, followed by the dreaded call to your parents!!  By now, most of you know that I, too, am a 1950’s product, and proud of it. A heinous act, like this one, was unimaginable in the 50s, now seems like a weekly occurrence. We have, sadly, become almost immune to the news of yet another massacre at the hands of angry, maladjusted, etc., young men.  The questions on all of our minds include, “How could this happen?”, and “Why would God let this happen?”.  As you recall, we asked God to leave our schools back it the early 1960s.  I remember it well.  Don’t ever get the idea that God is not grieved by this senseless act, nor that He is to blame.  Remember, we rejected him, and by so doing, all manner of evil was able to waltz right in. “Mr. Goldberg” had been booted out of the building. I, like many other Christians, believe we are living in the End Times.  Does that mean Jesus will be returning in the next few months?  That I don’t know,  but the signs are emerging daily.  Consider this verse; “For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.” 2 Timothy 3:2.  Nothing will be sacred to these people, including the lives of precious little first graders.  Our enemy, Satan, knows full well what is coming, and he is out to possess as many human souls as he can, in the time that is left. We are helpless against his assaults, without God.  Neither stricter gun control laws, nor antipsychotic drugs can stop pure evil from being manifested in weak human beings. Even if you don’t believe in God, please consider what is happening in our world, and acknowledge the fact that we can’t, on our own, control this kind of terrifying behavior.  Don’t delay in seeking him out on your own, our world is in peril without him.  “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  2 Chronicles 7:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment