Monday, December 31, 2012

Resolved


“I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.” Romans 7:15.  No this isn’t one of my quotes, but it sure could be.  We stand at the threshold of a fresh, new year, 2013!! Once again we are offered a clean slate.  In hopes of keeping it in pristine condition, we resolve to be healthier; more organized or what ever activity it is we want to improve, or habit we wish to end.  On January 1st, filled with fervent desire, and strength, we boldly take control of our weaknesses, vowing 100% commitment to said resolutions.  Flash forward a week, maybe less, how will you be doing?  The greatest evangelist of all times, Paul, wrote these words, born from personal frustration.  If Paul had trouble keeping resolutions, or in this case, the law, what chance do I stand? The issue, that Paul goes on to explain, is the warfare that wages within us, as Christians.  This battle, like any other skirmish, involves two factions at odds with each other.  In this instance the two opposing forces are, the law that God established, which defines sin, and our inborn sinful nature.  Remember, just because we accept Christ, doesn’t mean that the old sin nature dies.  As we all know, it rears its ugly head way too often, especially when we are trying so hard to fight it. Paul continues by saying, “And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.”  Jesus knew that we would have to face this dilemma, when he wrote, "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Matthew 26:41. So, do we just throw up our hands and blame our actions, or inactions,  on the old sin nature?  NO!  Jesus tells us to WATCH and PRAY.  In other words, be prepared. Temptations are going to come, so keep your eyes open, and gird yourself with prayer.  A warrior, headed into battle, would be a fool not to expect an enemy attack, and even more foolish to enter the fray without weapons to defend himself.  Will we keep all the resolutions we make; probably not. But take heart, in the big matters, when we allow him, God’s Holy Spirit will sound the alarm when temptation is about to attack, and prayer will be your defensive shield.  Resolve to use the old one-two punch this year, it will always be effective! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment