Monday, January 7, 2013

Mismatched


I took this picture of my mismatched feet today.  Funny thing was, I hadn’t even noticed it until I had finished my treadmill workout. My mind was definitely elsewhere this morning.  My husband laughed and threatened to tell people, so I’m beating him to the punch.  The craziest things bring scripture to my mind, and this time it was 2 Corinthians 6:14. “Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?”  Now I realize that different shoes may be a stretch, but there are some similarities.  To begin with, everyone around me can see that I’m not in sync.  When we align ourselves with non-believers, it is obvious to onlookers, those keeping an eye on our walk with Christ, that something isn‘t lining up correctly. While it isn’t a no-no to have non-Christian pals, the potential is there to slip back into our old habits. If you are holding yourself up as an example of a new being, it is imperative to be in relationships that edify, not those that constantly remind you of your old self.  “Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you.” 1 Timothy 4:16.  Remember, our lives may be the only Bible some people ever read. In addition, one of my shoes was older than the other, and eventually it would throw me off my stride, perhaps leading to injury. Jesus doesn’t want us to be unfriendly, or aloof, but we are different, and we need to unabashedly live in light of that difference.  Go ahead, venture into the shadows if God leads you there, but don’t stay around too long,  you may lose your ability to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment