Thursday, February 28, 2013

Man in the Mirror


Isn’t it easy to find fault with people?  The personality flaws of others just seem to jump out at us, begging for our “godly” criticism and rebuke.  Their lack of self-control, bad tempers, or other "sinful" personality deviations makes excellent fodder for “spiritual“ discussion, and “holy“ finger pointing.  Someone once told me that when we point an accusing finger, at another person, there are always 3 other fingers pointing back at us. You’re trying it out, aren’t you?  LOL, so did I, and it’s true.  Most of us still have some insecurity, when it comes to our relationship with God.  Are we consistently doing good stuff, studying his word enough, and in general following his example? When we see someone more messed up than we are, in a crazy, selfish way, it makes us feel better about ourselves.  Remember the finger pointing Pharisee, “The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don't cheat, I don't sin, and I don't commit adultery. I'm certainly not like that tax collector!‘ “ Luke 18:11.  God has a mirror in his hand that he lovingly wants us all to take a good, hard look into. Only when we honestly see ourselves, as God sees us, can we quit pointing and concentrate on our inadequacies. Look in the mirror next time you feel a finger-pointing mood coming on.  “How can you think of saying, 'Friend, let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye.”  Luke 6:42

No comments:

Post a Comment