Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eternity in Our Hearts


King Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, had this to say regarding creation; “I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! Ecclesiastes 1:13.  As intelligent as mankind is, we are no match for our Creator when it comes to figuring  out his ways, but that doesn’t stop us from trying. Solomon likened the process to a heavy burden, some may say it is too complicated and become frustrated, while others, like renowned scientist Stephen Hawking, who denies God, is quoted as saying “Science predicts that many different kinds of universe will be spontaneously created out of nothing. It is a matter of chance which we are in.”

As for me, the complexity and diversity of the world, rather than frustrating, burdening or  disenchanting me, only serves to strengthen my belief in God. God himself told us through the prophet Isaiah, "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9. I can’t figure God out, and I’m OK with that, in fact it’s a relief.  Imagine having to compete against him on Jeopardy!!

 The universe is not a matter of chance, or the result of spontaneous cosmic overload of nothingness.  No indeed! It was carefully, and lovingly created, and we can rest assured about that.  So, while others continue to weary themselves with study, and exploration, I’m blissfully content with eternity and truth set firmly in my heart..  And, think how much valuable time that opens up for doing really important stuff! “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11.

No comments:

Post a Comment