Monday, March 4, 2013

Front and Center

Walmart posted a reminder on their Facebook page, the other day, about the History channel airing the mini-series, the Bible.  One of my FB fiends had “liked” it, so I went over to Walmart’s page to check out some of the details.  What I found, in addition to the times, dates, and lots of positive remarks, were some disturbing comments. Not that I was surprised, but it always intrigues me how irate some people can get, when the Bible is mentioned.

Here are a couple of quotes: “Since when did the history channel start broadcasting non-fiction? Lets leave the childish fairy tales to nickelodeon!”; “ Keep your childish fairy tales to yourself.” ;   """"really walmart? why r u promoting a religious program on a TV channel that has nothing to do with u? how much did they pay u to promote this? soooooo inappropriate!!!!! shame on you”; “NO will NOT watch about the book of fables.” and “yuck”.  The consistent theme seemed to be that the Bible was no more than silly fiction. From what I can see today, most movies, or TV programs, based on silly fiction, are big hits.   If you don’t believe, or don’t like the content of any show, don’t tune in. So why the friction then? I think the Bible sums it up best; “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18.

When you look in on anything, from a distance, you don’t get the complete picture.  An obstruction, of some sort, is invariably blocking your view.  For example,  I bought tickets to a stage play once, for a reduced price, because the view was partially obstructed.  Money savings aside, I missed a lot of the action, and felt kind of out of it, until I moved to some vacant center stage seats.  What a difference it makes being front and center. There in lies the issue.  If you’re watching Christianity from an obstructed seat, you don’t see the whole picture, and it may certainly appear foolish.  Sadly, sometimes the obstruction can  be “religious”, self-righteous or hypocritical church people.

Whatever the impediment, it is our responsibility to lovingly lead people to better seats!  In response to the negative comments, numerous people did counter them with grace-filled, personal mini-testimonies like these:  “If you don't believe, that’s ok, but I would rather believe that someday I will be in a better place than believe that when I die its all over…” and “… If  u say it is all a fable & made up then why be so annoyed by it, it should be no different to u then some fictional movie that just tells a story that some writer came up with. I happen to be a believer and I’m excited that there is Jesus! I’m not going to condemn u for not believing so don’t do that to me... It’s like this, I have nothing to lose by my belief in Jesus and that He was born into this world, hung on a cross to die for my sins and then because the grave could not contain him He rose from the dead & ascended into Heaven! I don’t claim to be something I’m not, I’m far from perfect but I do love Jesus and that is just how I feel & believe and I hope I can be a witness for someone else; that’s all nothing more but nothing less!.” Is there a person you know, or not, viewing Christ from a seat with an obstructed view?  Why not slide over, and invite them to your area, where they can see him perfectly.  We have nothing to lose, and they have everything to gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment