Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fearfully and Wonderfully MADE!!

“I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:14.  I doubt King David ever took a course in genetics or biology, but he knew full well who was responsible for his marvelous body, not his parents, not evolution, but God alone.  Through the centuries before and since David’s eloquent words of worship were written, godly and heathen men alike have pondered the complexity and perfection of the human form.

 I’ve been reading, A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson, and in the beginning of the book he talks about this subject.  Even though his perspective is more scientific than Christian, it’s interesting to consider.  He wants the reader to realize just how unique they are by visualizing the body in a disassembled state, a dusty pile of protons.  If you’re not too sure about the size of a proton, here’s how he explains it. “A proton is an infinitesimal part of an atom, which is itself of course an insubstantial thing. Protons are so small that a little dib of ink like the dot on this I can hold something in the region of 500,000,000,000 of them, rather more than the number of seconds contained in half a million years. So protons are exceedingly microscopic, to say the very least.” He goes on to say how amazing it is that when all these incredibly minute particles unite they form something, in this case, a human body.

What he doesn’t say, and what I find much more interesting is, what spark gives animation to this lowly pillar of protons?  Stay with me, if all the protons that go into making the cells of the heart,  a kidney or the brain come together, what is it that causes said organ to start operating in it’s own unique way, and then begin interacting with the rest of the organs without losing their own identity and function. While I agree with science that we are all, in the most basic sense, conglomerations of matter, what science fails to explain is what makes this lifeless matter come to life?  I know there are lots of theories, and “explanations”, but none that satisfy my curiosity.  As I said once before, I don’t have enough information to be an atheist or a scientist, I suppose.  While there are many who will scoff,   God explains it clearly back in Genesis 2:7, “Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” He formed us from the matter he had created, and then breathed  into that dusty pile of protons the spark of life! David summed it up so well, we are indeed fearfully and wonderfully MADE, not by-products of a cosmic explosion.  I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel very special indeed!!



2 comments:

  1. I've almost decided that I should resume discussing religion with you Donna. Your posts on the subject drive me nuts. So be prepared!
    - Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a suggestion, don't read them ;)

    ReplyDelete