Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Surrendering All

While singing the old hymn, I Surrender All, it got me ruminating on the word surrender. Normally the picture we conjure up is one of a vanquished army or individual waving a white flag, turning themselves over to the powerful victor.  In fact, one of the definitions is: to yield (something) to the possession or power of another, and not always willingly I might add.  “Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.” Matthew 16:24-27.

 Jesus knew that  it would be tough for his disciples, and for us, to lay down their lives. Think back, for a moment, to your own surrender story, if you have one.  It probably didn’t come easily, because the things of this world have such a strong pull on us. Now add to that the fact that the enemy constantly taunts us with how much we’ll be missing out on, and the battle ensues. But, when we allow God’s truth to sink into our hearts, the process happens joyfully.  Remember, surrender is not defeat, it is a Win-Win proposition in all respects.

All to Jesus I surrender;
All to Him I freely give; I will ever love and trust Him, In His presence daily live.
Refrain:
I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.


No comments:

Post a Comment