Friday, December 20, 2013

Finding Jesus

I’m sure you’ve heard people use they expression, “I found Jesus.” What does that statement mean, exactly?  Has Jesus been missing or lost?  Is the act of finding Jesus akin to finding Waldo, or a hidden Easter egg?  I can only speak from my own personal experience, but perhaps it will shed some light on the subject, and some of you can relate.

I grew up in a Christian home, not overly religious, but one where we learned who the person of Jesus was. Jesus was known to me, mentally,  but not personally.  Like Waldo, I knew he was in the picture, but I wasn’t interested enough to seek him out an further.  It was my assumption that the knowledge I had of him was all that was necessary.  After all, God loves everyone, I wasn’t an atheist or agnostic so that was all the relationship I needed for attaining eternal life…right?  

Years passed and I was content adhering to that philosophy, that is until my parents “found Jesus.“  From my 22 year old perspective, they had lost their minds.  They went to church at least twice a week, carried Bibles and prayed…out loud.  Their level of personal intimacy with Jesus was abhorrent to me.  When, and why, did the impersonal, hidden Jesus all of a sudden jump off the pages of scripture for them?  For a long time I shook my head as they headed for church or Bible study, little did I know what supernatural events were already at play.  Now, as I look back at that time in my life, I realize that through the fervent prayers of my parents a curiosity began brewing in me.  This curiosity took hold of me in an almost involuntary fashion.  Jesus began to draw me  to himself.  I couldn’t get enough of scripture.  A “relationship” that had been born and raised in apathy, changed to a love and desire for my savior that I never would have believed was available, let alone possible.

If this sounds insane to you, fear not, it sounded that way to me at one time too.  Let me encourage you today, if you’ve never done it before, start seeking Jesus.  Even if you are skeptical, don’t worry, Jesus can’t wait to reveal himself to you as you continue to look. Fear not, he isn’t, nor has he ever been lost, but he’s waiting for you to find him. “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.“ Jeremiah 29:13.


No comments:

Post a Comment