Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Like Father, Like Daughter

Please don’t call me religious. I know that may sound bizarre to some of you, since I write “religious” stuff, but hear me out.  A while back I passed along to you a description of “religion” that a friend of mine had written.  To summarize, religion is the institutionalizing of  our relationship with God. It is when men make up extra-biblical traditions that regulate the behavior of believers. Yes, I fully believe in the Bible and its authenticity, but my love for Christ, and his church, is not based on strict adherence to doctrine, dogmas or rules.  As a child of the Father, His love is imprinted on my DNA.  It defines who I am, and how I act.  I’m not out to impress people by appearing religious in public, i.e.: wearing Christian symbols or clothing with logos; showing up at every service; making religious gestures, or volunteering for every soup supper.  While those are all wonderful, and I do participate in them, it’s not what makes me a Christian.  Only my personal belief in the saving power of Jesus’ shed blood can do that. One definition of the word that you can apply to me is: conscientiously faithful.  I love God because I choose to, not because I  have to. So feel free to say I resemble my Father, or that the apple doesn‘t fall far from the tree. My goal is to live his love through my life. “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.” Colossians 2:8.  Like father, like daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment