Saturday, August 9, 2014

Diluted and Deluded

Diluted and Deluded.   While not truly homonyms, like write and right, dilute and delude are pretty similar sounding.  Recently, while trying to come up with words to describe a large portion of the body of Christ, the Church, these two words found their way into my thoughts, and that’s what I want to share with you today.

 First off, let me give you the dictionary definitions.  Dilute: to make something weaker, fainter, reduce the strength or force of something by admixture.  Delude: to mislead the mind or judgment of; deceive:
to mock or frustrate the hopes or aims of.  Allow me to illustrate this with a story from my childhood.  My BFF in the 1960s lived on the same block as I, and we often hung out at each other’s home.  Why I remember this particular incident is a mystery, but here it is.  Her dad was making orange juice, from a can of frozen concentrate, when I noticed that he added at least twice as much water to it than my dad did.  I thought it odd, but then I saw him throw in a big cup of sugar to the pitcher.  As a kid, sugar was never a bad thing, so we eagerly drank it up.  While it didn’t taste as orangey as I was used to, the sugar more than made up for the “diluted” concoction.  I was thus “deluded” into thinking that this sugar infused substitute was every bit as good as the full-strength version.

That said, let me show you where I’m going with this.  Over the past 2000 years, the “church”, and I’m referring to the body of believers, not a particular denomination, has changed radically.  The fully concentrated, strong, vibrant and flavor-full, entity that Christ envisioned, has become, in may cases, not all, a weak, faint, sugary, diluted rendition. The sad part is, we have been deluded into thinking that’s how the church should be, and has always been.  Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!  If you aren’t familiar with your Bible, do yourself a favor and read the Book of Acts.  The author, Luke, describes for us a power-house, literally.  Miracles were happening on a daily basis, lives were changing, the earth was shaking with full-strength, no sugar added Christianity.  People all over the known world were amazed at what was happening, and thousands of them joined the church, daily!!!

 When is the last time you witnessed that kind of reaction to the word of God?  I don’t know exactly when, or why, but as the church grew, well meaning leaders began diluting that dunamis power with “religious sounding” rules, laws and  mandates.  Paul was aware of this issue when he said, “For Christ didn't send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News--and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power.” 1 Corinthians 1:17. Today, many churches play down the true gospel message, of repentance, grace and the power of the cross, because it might seem to strong. Instead they try to sweeten it up with “clever speech”, and “relevant” programs focused on social, family and financial issues, etc. Don’t misunderstand me, there’s nothing wrong with the church offering these programs, but not at the risk of diluting the power of the Cross.

 I’ll admit, there was a time that I was perfectly content with the watered down church. It didn’t challenge me to change my life, and it was palatable to my sinful nature. Then I tried the full strength church, and realized all the flavor I had been missing. Now, I can’t wait for the opportunity to “drink” in his word each new day. Are you tired of lackluster church, Good!!  Now, ask God to serve you the 100% version of the Good News, you’ll me amazed at what you’ve been missing….at it won’t rot your teeth!!! “Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” Psalm 34:8



No comments:

Post a Comment