Friday, August 1, 2014

Leaving Your Comfort Zone

Without seeking it, I was recently offered the lead part in a local historical play.  For nearly 65 years I’ve happily abided in a comfort zone, when it came to using any kind of “theatrical”  talent.  The primary reason being, it scared me to death!   My parents can, and will, attest to the fact that I was an extremely shy child.  If anyone looked at me cross-eyed  it would cause me to dissolve in tears, and forget about having to stand in front of the class and talk!!!  College speech class helped me immensely, but public speaking still made me nervous, and performing was out of the question. When I auditioned for the play, I only asked for a small role.  A couple of lines, spoken within the comfort of a group of other one-liners.  Perfect.  A few days later, the director called and asked me if I would be negotiable on how many lines I spoke.  Puzzled by this request, I asked her to explain “negotiable” to me.  She blurted out, “We want you to be the lead.”  I have to admit that I hammed up my audition lines, just for the fun of it, never expecting a request like this!

 Cutting to the chase, I didn’t accept readily, in fact I balked telling her how I had never done anything like this, along with a laundry list of other very reasonable excuses.  She gave me the script, asked me to look it over, and get back to her with my answer in 2 days.  How could I possibly make a decision like that in 2 short days!!  My comfort zone was so, well, comfortable, how could I possibly venture outside of it?  She saw only my hidden talents, and knew that they would fit her script perfectly, my trepidation was not important to her.  Deep down, I knew this part was me, but fear was holding me back.  She was relentless.  Finally, the potential that she saw in me, and her encouragement gave me the strength to shakily say yes.  Fast forward to opening night.  All the practices, line-learning, set directions etc. where now being put into action.  The play that she had lovingly written, over a 2 year period, was now coming to life.  I was nervous all that day, praying I’d remember all those lines. Taking center stage, as the lights came up, I asked God to help me through.  He did!! I’m proud to say, I made it successfully out of my comfort zone, and fulfilled the author/director’s plan for the show.

 Not unlike this talented author, God has plans for our lives.  But, like me, most of us are way too happy in our little comfort zones.  Maybe he wants you to get involved in a ministry you’ve never even thought about, and you feel unqualified.  Perhaps he brings a hurting person into your life, one who’s hungry to hear about God.  Whatever the request, it means making that uncomfortable step away from your zone, into His.  The author of the play knew the direction she wanted her play to go, I didn’t, but with her help, guidance and encouragement we brought those plans to fruition.  She couldn’t have done it without me, and I certainly couldn’t have done it without her.

 When God calls you, and he will, to view his "script" for your life, don’t shrink back and pull your blanket over your head.  He knows the outcome, and will grow and qualify you every step of the way.  You’ll be so glad you said yes, I am!! For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11







No comments:

Post a Comment