Monday, December 1, 2014

Fed vs Nourished

I recently returned from spending a week at an All-Inclusive resort, where all kinds of foods were available 24/7.  Let’s just say, I tried to get my money’s worth! I started thinking about the difference between being fed, and being nourished.  Yesterday, a friend of mine, mentioned this same thing to me when she said needed to be in an environment where she was “being fed“, spiritually.  I agreed with her, and have said it myself many times, but then God shared with me this insight….being fed isn’t enough, we must be nourished.  

Let’s face it, when we’re hungry we can shove all matter of food into our pie holes, just to sate the belly.  Everyone realizes that a greasy burger and fries will satisfy us, but they will do nothing to nourish our physical bodies. The same thing holds true for our spiritual selves.  The word of God can be served to us in many forms.  Sometimes it is sugar-coated or diluted,  other times deep-fried and smothered in gravy.  It makes you feel full, but only for a while, and it certainly isn’t healthy.  As is my custom, I like to check the dictionary for a secular definition.  To nourish means: 1. sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth.2.to cherish, foster, keep alive, 3.to strengthen, build up, or Promote.  

Do you see where I’m going with this?  Feeding merely satisfies temporarily, while nourishment goes further, bringing us life, health , growth and strength which not only keeps us alive but builds us up.  There is no such thing as spiritual obesity, tooth decay or diabetes. The pure, unadulterated word is true food indeed, and you won‘t bloat on it or rot your teeth. Sometimes it may seem more like broccoli than a Snickers, but we can’t be nourished on a steady diet of sweets, even though our humanness desires it. 

Are you hungry?  Do you want to grow, and be nourished, not merely fed?   Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. John 6:35.  Good, wholesome food nourishes our physical bodies enabling them to grow and develop, we can all agree on that.  So why would you desire less than that for you spirit?  “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8.  Seek out his Word, served on his banqueting table. Eat up, and you will be nourished!  On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine-- the best of meats and the finest of wines. Isaiah 25:6


    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment