Monday, December 29, 2014

What Color is God's Bathroom?

My son-in-law was painting his bathroom, the other day, when my husband asked him what color it was going to be.  He answered, “It’s the same color as yours.”  To which my husband replied, “What color is that?”  I was nearby listening to this exchange, and frankly I was flabbergasted.  “You mean to tell me you don’t know the color of the room that you use so frequently?” I blurted out.  In casual reply he told me, no he didn’t.  He went on to inform me that as long as it was clean, and functional, that was all he noticed about it, details were unimportant.

 My brain couldn’t believe what my ears were hearing, especially since I had spent so much time decorating it.  I had poured over color samples, and spent hours looking for accessories. How could he not see beyond mere function?  Of course this got me thinking on a spiritual plane, surprise, surprise!  How many Christians think of Jesus in that same, one dimensional way?  He’s there to serve a purpose, and that‘s about it.  But what do we know about him?  For example, do you know what pleases him, and what doesn‘t?  Are you familiar with his family tree?  How much information could you pass on to someone who asked you about your relationship with him?  Do you know the color of his bathroom?

OK, so that last one was silly, but the point I’m trying to make is, we should strive for such intimacy with our Savior, that if he had a bathroom, we’d know what color of it.  All too often I hear people complain about the length of a sermon, citing that the pastor should be able to keep the service short.  In other words, clean and functional.  We don’t have the time, or the desire to know the details of the one who sacrificed his life for ours. Insert sad face here, and if you are one of the “clean and functional” folks, make that an embarrassed face.

God has designed us to be his own, and to know everything about him.  Look how popular genealogy is.  People research their family trees, to find out all they can about their roots.  Why aren’t we, in the same way, desiring to intimately know him?   Our only true family roots are in Him.  If you don’t feel this yearning, ask him to supply it.  Seek Him, study his word, and surround yourself with brothers and sisters who will encourage you.  Isaiah said this, “All night long I search for you; in the morning I earnestly seek for God.” Isaiah 26:9.   Wake up and see all the marvelous details of his Kingdom, and especially the color of his bathroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment