Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Faith


“Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.” Voltaire. “ Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1. These two definitions of faith, written centuries apart, by two very different writers, come to the same conclusion; you can’t “prove” faith.  A part of me wishes I could cipher it out, like a complex mathematical equation, at the end of which, after the = sign, I would triumphantly place the irrefutable answer. Oh, Lord, if only you had done it that way, it would be so much simpler to win people for the Kingdom!!  But, that’s not how God operates.  He is so huge, and his thinking so far beyond yours and mine, that even the most advanced intellects can’t grasp it in its entirety.  When I meditate on this conundrum, God always leads me back to the fact that He is in charge, and I can rely on his promises to be true.  It makes me feel secure, but it still sounds so lame not to have a rock solid conclusion to present unbelievers. As I develop in my personal relationship with God, he keeps offering me “proofs”, in the form of answered prayers, miracles and  enlightenment in regards to my spiritual queries, of which there are many!  God continues to build my trust in him, and in so doing, those observing my life may be enticed to learn more, and ultimately develop faith, as well.  So, don’t give up, faith is the spiritual gift that keeps on giving, especially in the face of doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment