Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sweetly Fragrant


“It’s May, it’s May, the lovely month of May…” Ah yes, the sweetness of May, a month filled to the brim with hope.  Hope for garden-fresh produce, warm sunshiny days, summer vacation, bright clothing and flip-flops.  Sure, there may be a few cool, rainy days yet, but I feel so confident that they are behind us, I’ve packed away my dreary winter duds.

My condolences to all of you who suffer from hay fever and allergies, because one of the greatest joys of this season are the flowers and blooming plants.  Each balmy breeze is perfumed with the delicate scents of lilac, lily of the valley and apple blossom. If Heaven has a fragrance, this must be it! Last year I missed my lilacs, because we were in England, so they smell extraordinarily sweet today!  I’ve been watching their progress for some time now.  They set their buds quite early, and several times I feared the ice and frost would kill them. But this weekend they began to slowly open, releasing that inimitable perfume only when fully in bloom.  They won’t last long, so I greedily savor every deep sniff.  

You know, God says that we, as Christians, are a sweet fragrance. “Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.” 2 Corinthians 2:15.  Our lives, to all we come in contact with, should be like the light, subtle scent of lilacs, never heavy and overpowering, but lingering and unforgettable.  In such a way, people will be drawn to us, desiring to inhale the sweetness we exude, in a sin-stinky world.  Have you caught a whiff of yourself lately?  Is it pleasant and inviting, or fetid and offensive.  Today, let’s allow God to do everything he can to bring us to full, fragrant bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment