Friday, May 10, 2013

Words, Words, Words


Dr. Louann Brizendine, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco states in ``The Female Brain" that ``A woman uses about 20,000 words per day while a man uses about 7,000." I’m sure that varies, I know that I’m married to verbal overachiever!  But I digress, the point I want to make today is,  we talk a lot, and the quantity of words isn't as important as the quality!!  Some of our words are silly and useless, others beneficial and encouraging while what remains can range from vindictive to loving, and everything in between.  

Jesus, when speaking to a group of Pharisees said this; “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”  On occasion, we can plan for our words to be pleasing, but then there are the times we get cut off in traffic, or someone really ticks you off, and well, let’s just say, they’re not so sweet.  What’s inside us at the time comes out, be it good or bad.  Suppose it was possible to receive  a transcript of your daily conversations.  How many of those words would reflect the God nature that’s supposed to be alive within us?  Are you cringing yet?  I sure am!  God has given us his Holy Spirit to guide our communication, but are we allowing it to function fully on a daily basis? Keep that transcript in mind. “Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.” Ecclesiastes 5:2 Don’t worry, nobody is perfect, but we sure can improve, and God, through King David reminds us of that in this Psalm. “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.” Psalm 19:14


No comments:

Post a Comment