Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Enter His Gates With Thanksgiving!!


“Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name.”  Psalm 100:4.  I admit it, I LOVE Thanksgiving!!  As a child I still remember waking up to the aroma of turkey as it slowly roasted in the old Tappan range.  My grandmother always got up before dawn to place the huge bird into the oven ensuring that it would be succulent and delightfully brown.  The sideboard groaned under the weight  of mashed potatoes in silver chafing dishes, ceramic casseroles with vegetables from A to Z, moist stuffing, gravy and desserts galore. Oh the culinary joy, and what happy memories.  I still love this wonderful day of divine gluttony, but now, I am the grandmother…oh the joy!!  To be honest, the mere mention of the holiday, brings food and family to mind, thankfulness is second.  Is my face red, but I’m honest.  Even the dictionary definition is more spiritual:the act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or  favors, especially to God.  The whole month of November, I’ve been noticing that my Facebook friends have been telling the world what they are thankful for.  What a marvelous idea, and bravo to all of you thankful people.  Yes, we have plenty to gripe about, but we all have more than enough food, wonderful friends, loving families, and a mighty God who supplies it all!!  Don’t forget, he gives us the strength, intelligence and where-with-all to earn money and provide for our loved ones, but more importantly He is the greatest blessing of all.  So, as you carve that delicious bird this week, remember, like King David, to thank the One whose provision we can’t live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment