Monday, July 8, 2013

Empowered by the Son-Light

My husband is always coming home with some random “gift“ for me.  Some more random than others like these dancing, solar-powered flowers.  I wanted to be thrilled, but the truth is it‘s another silly knick-knack they I don‘t need.  I didn‘t say that out loud though, and now they are happily dancing away in my bay window.  As I was trying to come up with a plan to banish them to a dark corner somewhere, God revealed something about these tchotchkes. They can only function when exposed to the sun, they cease to dance if they are removed from the source of their power.  Now I realize that’s far from a profound statement, but He went on to remind me that I too am empowered, not by the sun, but by The Son.  I must stay in his light, so to speak, to truly be able to dance, and serve effectively in his kingdom.

Think back to the first words God spoke over the barrenness that was to become Earth, “Let there be light.” The Creator made light knowing it was essential to sustain all life forms.  In fact the word light is used 2869 times in the Bible, that’s a lot of light.  Jesus referred to himself as “the Light”, “I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark.” John 12:46.  When you are in the dark, you bump into things, and struggle to accomplish even mundane tasks.  Conversely, when we live in His light, we not only can see, but like those dancing flowers, are empowered for all kinds of service.

Choose today to dance with joyful, empowered abandon, in the Sonlight.  “Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who EMPOWERS them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are EMPOWERED by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.” 1 Corinthians 12:4-11.


No comments:

Post a Comment