Thursday, July 25, 2013

Obeying the Rules

My husband and I took our two oldest grandkids on a 3 day/2 night road trip adventure, last weekend.  Before we left the driveway, I made the “rules” perfectly clear, well clear enough for a 9 and 6 year old to grasp.  No whining, no hitting, and no asking, “are we there yet”.  I thought that we all understood and agreed, but they found creative ways to get around the rules.  All in all, given their ages, they were great.

Now let’s look at ourselves, as adults.  We, as citizens of the USA, are subject to laws, and I won’t lie, there have been numerous times I’ve, creatively or not, tried to get around them. The latest on my list of shame was at a state park when I went around a DO NOT ENTER sign.  Like Chevy Chase’s character in the National Lampoon Vacation movie, I rationalized that we had come too far to not see the sight.  There was no park ranger in view, and with the grand kids watching, in I went.  Immediately the officer appeared and asked what part of the sign I didn’t understand.  Luckily for me, he was a softy and let us all go ahead in, since they were only cleaning off graffiti, but it could have been due to high water or deadly snakes.

God, in much the same way, has set up rules and do not enter signs for us.  Not because he is a meanie, or doesn’t want us to have fun, o contraire, He always has our best interests at heart.  He wants us to enjoy the life He’s given us, to the max, but in a safe, protected environment. I‘m sure there will still be times when I question God‘s plan, and try to take my own path, so I have to keep asking him to remind me.  We‘re all in this together, and it‘s far superior to follow his lead than our own.  As I told Ty and Ella, if we obey the rules our motto will be, “Fun for all, and all for Fun!!” and it was. “Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” John 14:21.




No comments:

Post a Comment