Wednesday, July 17, 2013

In His Hand

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.” John 10:28-29.

 There are those who maintain that this verse offers eternal security to us, as Christians, and that is partiality true. If we look at the rest of this chapter, which is vital in Bible study, we find out to whom Jesus was speaking.  It was the Feast of the Dedication, and a group of Jews had gathered at the temple and began to bombard him with questions. “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” v.24.  Jesus answered,  “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not MY SHEEP.” v 25.

 Please note that only the sheep in his flock are promised eternal life.  All those on the outside couldn’t understand what he was saying or doing, because his voice was unfamiliar.  Unlike sheep, we are offered a choice about which voice, or shepherd we will listen to, follow and obey.  Like sheep, there is always the possibility of an escape from the flock, and that can, and does, happen with Christians as well.  Remember as a kid when you would make a tight fist to protect a small toy or candy?  Or even a tiny baby’s inborn reflex to wrap his fingers around yours. It’s mighty difficult to pry those fingers up, now imagine God’s hand… It’s Impossible!!  The only way we can get out of that lovingly clenched hand, is on our own.  Perhaps it’s the siren song of the world, and its carnality, that causes some to squeeze their way out.  Whatever the reason, it places those “escapees” in an unenviable place, outside the protection of God’s hand.

God won’t put us in chains, he wants us to be fully convinced about him before we place ourselves in his care.  Are you convinced?  Are you not only listening to the shepherd’s voice, but willingly following?  Life on the outside of his hand, is no life at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment