Friday, August 2, 2013

A Teacup Full of Answers

As a child, I thought my dad knew everything, and had the answers to all my queries.  How high is the sky; what makes the sky blue; why do birds have feathers; and what is dirt made of?  I’d constantly bombard him with questions, on a daily basis.  He never failed to come up with a response that satisfied the child me.  Today I look back and wonder if they were accurate, or was he merely appeasing me. Back then, what mattered most was the fact that it made me feel secure knowing he was the answer man.

 Having raised my own kids, and now with grand kids asking all kinds of tough stuff, I realize that just about anything I tell them they’ll believe.  Obviously I try to respond with an understandable, mostly correct answer, based on their age and ability to comprehend.  Going into technical details will only confuse them, so I keep it simple.  As adults don’t we do the same thing with God?  We come to him with gallons of questions, but only hold out a teacup for him to fill with the answers. The cold, hard fact is, that the volume of answers our individual teacups can hold, is all we can humanly grasp.  The vastness of God, his creation, and his plans for us are way too much for us to take in all at once.  I do think, that as we persevere in prayer, he will continue to fill our cups as needed.  So, be content, and secure, knowing that your Heavenly Father is the ultimate answer man. “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone— while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?” Job 38:4-7. Keep holding out your teacup!!


No comments:

Post a Comment