Thursday, August 22, 2013

Coming to the End of One's Self

On a recent road trip, I noticed this frayed rope end.  The was sun highlighting the many loose fibers, and it brought to mind something my Mom always says, “That person has not come to the end of themselves, yet.”  What she meant was, that like an unraveling rope, every human being reaches a point, in their lives, where they are helpless, coming apart, with no place to go.  Maybe the situation is caused by a financial problem, a relationship in peril, a health issue, or just an empty space in ones soul,  that has them coming apart.  Whatever the problem is, it seems to be unsolvable, and it is, with only our human resources and strength.  At that point, which we will now refer to as “the end of one’s self“, an individual has to make a life-changing decision; do you continue trying to stop the fraying on your own, knowing that all previous attempts have proved futile, or out of desperation, do you call out to God for his assistance?

I like to think of God, sitting in his enormous Lazy-Boy, reading the paper, waiting for us to arrive at just that place. When we finally acknowledge our helplessness, and give him the “call”, he gets up and loving pulls us out of the mess we’ve created. It’s not pretty to watch the process of one coming to the end of themselves, but in one way or another, we’ve all had to do it.  Maybe you’re still in the struggle, maybe it’s your child, friend or other loved one, who it is doesn’t matter, but the solution always remains the same; God’s grace.  

Read Psalm 38, and see how David wisely sought God when he reached his end.  “For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me. I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin. Many have become my enemies without cause ; those who hate me without reason are numerous. Those who repay my good with evil lodge accusations against me, though I seek only to do what is good. Lord, do not forsake me; do not be far from me, my God. Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my Savior.”  When you’re at your end, call out, and let His love change you from frayed to “un-frayed“!
                                       

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment