Monday, August 26, 2013

Gimmee a Pill!

I’m doing a happy dance today!  Late last year I found out that my cholesterol was 300, and my doctor wanted me to begin taking a statin drug to lower that big number.  Let me preface this by saying that I am not one who takes pills without seriously checking them out. In this case, I knew that a major part of the responsibility was mine. I’d lapsed into eating a fatty diet, and wasn’t doing enough aerobic exercise. So, before I started taking a drug, I convinced the doctor to give me another 6 months to alter my diet and exercise.

A nasty bout of stomach flu in January, jump-started my lifestyle change, and from that point on I diligently began eliminating high fat foods, adding fresh fruits, vegetables, and flax to my diet along with more work out time. The trial period was up last week, and I it was time to see if my hard work had accomplished anything.  When the labs came back, I would have been thrilled with a 25 point drop, but instead it went down 52 points…hence the happy dance. My husband tried to burst my bubble by telling me that 248 was still higher than his 230, and it is,  I know I have more work to do, but I’m satisfied  knowing that it can be done, without pills, and I‘m eager to continue.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-pharmaceuticals. I don’t have any problem taking synthroid. Since my thyroid is gone, I have no choice, but I also knew, that if I only took a pill, the number would come down, but my eating and exercise habits would stay the same. We all love a quick-fix, and pills are great for that, but I was convinced that to be truly healthy, changes had to be implemented by me alone.

When I look at the church, I see a similar scenario. Lots of folks want the benefits and “fire insurance” that the church offers, but they don’t really want to leave their old lifestyles behind. So they “join” a church, preferably one with relaxed rules, and a watered down gospel, but even if it doesn’t, they continue in the same old, unhealthy, sinful lifestyle, ignorantly thinking that because they are card-carrying church members, everything is hunky dory! Just like taking a pill, their spiritual condition is masked, but the cause is ignored.

There’s no way we can call ourselves Christians, and persist in doing what is in opposition to God.  God’s grace is not a pill we take to ward off evil, but begins with a lifestyle change, we must make individually, that brings us into true bodily and spiritual health.   Anything else is like putting a band aid on a cancer.  I’m not recommending you quit taking your earthly medications, but be sure you are also doing all you can to improve your health.  In the same way, obediently follow Dr. God’s plan for eternal life, and you‘ll be happy, pill-free happy dancing too! “Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live!” Isaiah 38:16.



No comments:

Post a Comment