Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Road to Galilee

My, soon to be, 10 year old grandson moved this week to a new town, home, family and school.  Any one of those things can throw the bravest kid into a turmoil, and Ty was no exception.  When I talked to him, after his first day at school, he told me it was bad, and that he had cried the whole day.  As a grandma who loves him, and wants to protect him, I felt like racing over, wrapping him up in a cozy blanket and taking him home with me.  After that I wasn’t sure what I would do, but I knew I wanted to keep him from being hurt, sad or persecuted.

Don’t we all feel like that some days?  Rather than facing the difficult issues, whatever they might be, full on, we’d rather crawl back into our safe and cozy zone.  Trouble is, avoiding something doesn’t make it disappear, and usually makes it worse.  Jesus, never one to run from conflict, faced this kind of situation on numerous occasions.  Perhaps the best known story is the account of his return to his hometown. Jesus had been in Samaria, a hostile environment for any Jew, and one that he shoulda/coulda avoided, but didn’t.  We are all familiar with the woman at the well saga, so thank God he went!  Any way, now he turned and headed towards his old stomping grounds. “After the two days he departed for Galilee. (For Jesus himself had testified that a prophet has no honor in his own hometown.)”  Jesus knew that opposition was awaiting him.  After all wasn’t he just Joe and Mary’s kid?  Didn’t we go to high school with him?  What makes him so high and mighty now that he should come back and preach to us?  And who are these 12 guys with him?  Man he’s got some nerve!

Scripture goes on to say they took offence at him, and he wasn’t able to do many mighty works because of their disbelief.  But, as difficult as it was to face their animosity, he didn’t turn the other way out of fear.  I believe that because he didn’t let his apprehension get in the way, the Galileans heard the good news, and had the opportunity to accept it, if not then, hopefully later.  Now back to Ty.  I didn’t go rescue him, but I did encourage and pray with him.  I told him that, yes, what he was facing was frightening, but that he could, and must face up to it, not alone, but with the supernatural strength that God would give him.  I then told him to focus on the good things, and reach out to a new person.  The next day when I talked to him, all was good, even the school lunch was yummy according to him. That’s not to say he won’t face issues again, but now he knows he can, with God’s help.  And who knows how many kids will be encouraged by his actions.


What rough road are you facing today? Do you feel like backing down, or finding a well paved path?  Remember, you’re never on the road to Galilee alone, and the results of your god-given courage will astound you, and your homies!!









No comments:

Post a Comment