Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Trusting Dad

I love to travel, and it doesn’t matter where I go, it’s the going that’s fun!  When I was a kid I’d be the first to jump in the old Buick, and claim my window seat, even if Dad was just pulling it into the driveway.  We did take some long road trips, and those will always hold a special place in my childhood memories.  Eating burgers and fries at Howard Johnson’s, staying at a motel, and buying souvenirs from “far away” places, what bliss!  You know, never once in all those years did I ever ask Dad if he had enough money to cover the bills, or fear that he would leave me in the gas station bathroom.  Those things never entered my mind, he was, after all, my Dad and even though I was a child,  I trusted him, in all things, implicitly.  As I matured, I still had faith in Dad, but I wasn’t above questioning him, or challenging his wisdom.  My Dad is still great, and wise, at 88 years old and I’m blessed to have him.

Some of you may not have had a Dad, or the one you had was far from perfect. I’m sorry about that, because it makes it harder to believe in God as a loving, trustworthy father.  While all our earthly fathers are flawed, to some degree or another, our heavenly father is not. We can trust that when we climb into his Buick, he’s going to get us to where we need to go, while supplying every need we have along the way.  My Dad might have gotten frustrated, when we kept inquiring about when we’d arrive, but God not only welcomes our queries, he encourages them, because they serve to build our faith in him, continually.

 Rest assured, God wants only the best for us, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually etc., along the way.  So go ahead and ask, then trust Him to supply, he is, after all, your Abba/Daddy.  “What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:11-13



No comments:

Post a Comment