Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Christ-"Like"


Throughout the 40 odd years that I’ve been a Christian, my daily goal has been to become more “Christ-like”.   Following his lead, thinking his thoughts, doing his stuff etc..  Sounded legit to me, that is until a book I’ve been reading made me give it some serious thought.  Let me explain myself in terms of an OREO cookie.  Those of us who love a fresh OREO know that they are scrumptious all the way through.  From the first bite through those crunchy chocolate wafers, down to the creamy vanilla filling, it’s all pure delight. At one time or another, I’ve had folks try to pull a fast one by replacing  that incomparable flavor and texture with a HYDROX or worse yet, store-brand imitations.  Sacrilege, there is nothing like a genuine OREO!!  Those pseudo varieties may be “OREO-like“, but they sure aren’t the real thing.  It is our awesome honor, as Christians to have Christ residing in us.  If that’s the case, then we shouldn’t be merely Christ-like, we must be Christ himself.  Albeit we can’t hope to attain his divinity,  but in giving him  control of our lives, we will be exhibiting to the world the authentic Christ, right down to the “cream filling”.  Still not sure, then check out these convincing verses. “But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ. 1 John 2:27 and “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20.  What a joy it is to know that I’m Christ, not merely Christ-like, inside and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment