Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Delight


I delight in the word, DELIGHT!  It is defined as: a  high degree of pleasure or enjoyment; joy; rapture. What brings you delight?  Your family; hobby; the arts; music?  Any, or all of these are delightful, no doubt about it.  How about God? Is His word, and your relationship with Him, delightful?  It should be, but for many Christians it’s more lackluster than awesome. Don’t get the impression that I’ve always been enraptured, because I haven’t.  Learning to delight in anything, takes time, study, interaction with other “delighters”,  and actual participation in the activity.   For instance, photography was just ok to me several years ago, but now having studied it, been encouraged by fellow enthusiasts, and practicing the art, it has become a passion, a delight.  If you’ve never been in a Bible study/prayer group, or had scripture explained to you in a relevant, joy-filled way, you owe it to yourself to seek out such an experience.  For me it came in the form of a pastor who not only taught, but made God’s word come alive, something I had never experienced before.  After that, I couldn’t get enough of God, scripture study, or of telling everyone about what I’d found.  Needless to say, a great deal of my exuberance fell on dull ears, but it didn’t stop me!!  When something is that delightful, how could I keep it to myself? King David speaks of his delight in God throughout the psalms as in this one: “Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4.  Now that’s a promise with benefits, believe it, Delight in it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment