Monday, April 29, 2013

Where's the Beef?


“Where’s the Beef?”  OK, who remembers Clara Peller, the little old lady who, in 1984, turned this statement into advertising gold for Wendy’s? If you recall the commercial, she orders a hamburger, but what she receives is a giant bun with only a tiny amount of meat. Feeling gypped, she blurts out this now famous  response.  It was hilarious, and people where using the phrase in all sorts of situations back then.  I think 2013 would be a great time to revive that old line, but this time, instead of skimpy burgers, I’d apply it to skimpy Biblical teaching found in many churches.

 In this “enlightened” age, so much of our focus has shifted from bible study, which is essential for equipping believers, to politically correct, good deed doing, social gatherings. When it’s hard to tell the church from the Rotary club, we have a problem. The primary function of the church, as the physical representative of Christ on Earth, is to continue the work he began. “So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ.” Colossians 1:28  Even more than that, Jesus told us, before he ascended, that we would not only be doing what he had done, but far more! "I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.” John 14:12.

When I study the scriptures, I see an excitement in the church about learning and serving God.  And why wouldn’t there be, exciting stuff was happening…healings, casting out of demons, and ordinary lives becoming extraordinary.  What made the difference?  They knew that God-authorized power was a promise, and they claimed it for themselves, it was the BEEF, and they hungered for more of it! Read the book of Acts, if you don’t believe me. That’s the kind of empowerment/beef we need! I think that we have become too accustomed to filler, we don’t even know what real beef tastes like anymore, and it’s all topped off with an enormous bun.  Today I stand with Clara Peller and yell “Where’s the Beef?”  Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment