Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Yes Virginia, There Are Angels!


Angels, what does the word conjure up in your mind.  The Hallmark version would have us think they are plump babies with flowery halos and gossamer wings; beautiful women smiling shyly as they sit on clouds, playing golden harps; or any of your deceased relatives, who have now joined the leagues of winged harp players? Hollywood seems to think they are either the bumbling sort, like Clarence in A Wonderful Life, who was trying his darndest to the earn his wings, or John Travolta showing us a lusty, dancing  rendition.  Guess what, none of these are correct!  Did you realize that scripture talks about these celestial beings in 273 references. In fact, there are actually 9 orders of angels: Seraphim, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominions, Virtues, Powers, Principalities, Archangels and Angels.

 Today I’d like to talk about the group we are most familiar with, Angels, or are we?  The old testament book of Daniel gives us the most concise description.  “On April 23, as I was standing on the bank of the great Tigris River, I looked up and saw a man dressed in linen clothing, with a belt of pure gold around his waist. His body looked like a precious gem. His face flashed like lightning, and his eyes flamed like torches. His arms and feet shone like polished bronze, and his voice roared like a vast multitude of people. Only I, Daniel, saw this vision. The men with me saw nothing, but they were suddenly terrified and ran away to hide. So I was left there all alone to see this amazing vision. My strength left me, my face grew deathly pale, and I felt very weak. Then I heard the man speak, and when I heard the sound of his voice, I fainted and lay there with my face to the ground. ‘ Daniel 10:4-9.  Daniel had been praying and fasting for 3 weeks, waiting for God’s answer, when this Heaven-sent being appears to him.  It is well to point out that Angels are not, nor ever have been human, they are God-created creatures who serve as God’s messengers.  Think back to Abraham, Mary and Joseph to name a few.  When we pray, our requests are carried to God’s throne, and presented to Him in golden bowls, “…gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of God's people.” Revelation 5:8.  Now let’s turn our attention to the physical appearance of the angel Daniel describes.  #1 He is a grown Man, not a woman or a child.  #2. His whole countenance, not only his clothing, is bright white, flashing like lightning and torches, and around his waist he wears pure gold, befitting one who lives in the presence of the Almighty. #3. He exhibits strength with arms and legs that are like polished bronze.  #4.  Finally he gets your attention with a booming, commanding voice.

This is the kind of angel I want watching my back, and after I pick myself up off my face, I‘ll tell him that!! Which is the same reaction Daniel had, in fact his frightened buddies left him all alone, pale and woozy.  Not all angels appeared in this fashion, some even show up like this, “Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! Hebrews 13:2.  The fact is, angels do exist, and hopefully this opens your eyes to what they are like, and what God has created them for.   Stay tuned for more on these amazing beings!

No comments:

Post a Comment