Monday, June 25, 2012

Iron Sharpens Iron


“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17.  Who do you count as a friend, and why?  We all have acquaintances,  and of course there are all those “friends” on FB, but who is that someone, or “someones“, who sharpen you?  I am blessed to have several Christian friends I can confidently share my deepest thoughts and needs with.  Friends who will pray with me, encourage me, and yes, when necessary lovingly guide me back to God’s path. These folks know that they can depend on me as well, and thus we “sharpen” one another as together we grow in God‘s grace.  The question then arises, what is your friendship made of?  The word doesn’t say, wood sharpens wood, or clay sharpens clay, no it refers to iron, a hard metal,  a substance that won’t rust or crumble under adverse conditions. We all know that life dishes out hardships, like Grandma doles out mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, so being and having an ironclad pal is vital.  Does that mean we should chuck out all our plastic, glass and pottery friends?  Of course not, and who knows, hanging around you may alter their composition.  Are you feeling a bit rusty? Need some iron supplement? It’s as close as your Bible!! ***6/25/12

No comments:

Post a Comment