Monday, June 4, 2012

Pruning


I’m doing an experiment on my husband’s tomato plants.  In years past, the bushes have gotten big, leafy and green, but the actual fruit was scarce.  Joe was always watering and fertilizing, that wasn’t the issue, so what was the problem?  While visiting with my sister, she mentioned that the plants would be more prolific if the “suckers” were pulled off.  As is my habit, I Googled it.  Sure enough, a youtube video on pruning tomatoes came up on the screen, and I couldn’t wait to give it a try.  I left some plants with their suckers intact, just to see what the difference will be….time will tell.   It’s difficult to cut off anything that looks lush and alive, Joe is dubious, but any gardener will tell you that it must be done to increase productivity.  A sucker, while it looks nice, will not bear fruit, it only sucks the precious moisture and nutrients that rightly belong to the tomato.  In my own life, and yours, there are suckers too.  These seemingly innocuous hanger-onners sap our strength, and keeps our spiritual fruit from developing. What are these useless sappers anyway?  I’ll explain it as; any thing, person or activity that keeps us from being productive for God’s kingdom.  Think of all those pursuits that keep you from finishing any task. They may not be bad, but after you get sidetracked by messing with them, you’re pooped out, with no energy left for the truly important work. You know the things I mean, now apply that thinking to doing God’s tasks.  Who doesn’t love to see, and savor, big juicy tomatoes, and full clusters of grapes.  With a bit of pruning, that will be the kind of fruit we will bear.  So pick off those suckers, and let God do the same with you!! I can’t wait to see those overflowing bushel baskets! “He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” John 15:2  

No comments:

Post a Comment