Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cats vs Dogs


“Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking our relationship with our Master”,  is a book written by Bob Sjogren and Gerald Robison.  I haven’t read it yet, but it sounds interesting.  The premise is based on how differently dogs and cats react to us, their masters, then compares that to how we respond to God, our master.  A dog, if you could read his mind, would think like this…”wow, you feed me, give me a home and love me, you must be God!”  Conversely, a cat thinks, “you feed me, give me a home and love me, I must be God!”   I cracked up laughing when I heard that, because it’s so true.  What’s not so funny is how some people, even those who call themselves Christians, perceive their relationship with God.  Like the cat, they figure they deserve what God does for them because that’s what God’s job is.  Worse yet, many leave God out of the equation entirely, thinking they alone are responsible for all their blessings. “It’s because I’m so smart, motivated, or influential”, they explain.  “God, shmod, who needs him?” The dog, on the other paw,  realizes that everything he has comes from his master, and he responds with love and gratefulness. Are you a cat or dog?  “Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.” Psalm 105:1

No comments:

Post a Comment