Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Am

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Exodus 3:13-14.  What’s in a name: Prestige, power, influence?  On the flip side, if it’s not the “right” name, it won’t carry much weight. Moses knew full well, that when he returned to the Israelites, from his time with God, they would want to know on whose authority he was speaking.  God doesn’t need a human name, and I can’t even imagine calling him Bill, Robert or Frederick. In addition there is a permanence to it, not a wishy washy, I MIGHT BE, I THINK I AM, or I WILL BE. We still like to assign him various monikers, based on his multifaceted nature, but the only one that God goes by is I AM!!  I like that in God, because He’s so confident in who he is, it fortifies the assurance I already have in him.   Unlike Popeye who proclaimed, “I yam what I yam”, or Jim Croce who sang, “I’ve Got a Name”, God knows exactly who he is, and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment