Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Legacy of Prayer

My grandfather, “Pop”, was an interesting guy.  As the oldest son of Norwegian immigrants, living on the fertile Iowa prairie,  he put in long, arduous days on the farm.  He hated it.  He used to talk about his father, and how he was a religious fanatic. He didn‘t like that much either. I, however, would have loved to have met my Great grandfather Heggen. I believe he was a man who loved the Lord, served Him, and prayed.  Years later, when my parents, my sisters and I came into our own personal relationships with God, my mother used to say, “I’ll bet it was because of Grandpa Heggen’s prayers”.  A legacy of faith,  beginning with the fervent prayers of an old Norwegian farmer.

Jesus prayed knowing that his apostles needed his strength-building prayers right then and there, but more amazingly, he prayed for all of us who were to come later.  I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel very special.  The thought that the Savior of my soul, spent time on his knees praying for me, is humbling to say the least.  Thank you Lord for laying that foundation of faith that endured through my great grandpa’s prayers, and now  continues in mine for all my loved ones. I always take comfort in the knowledge that present day people are praying for me, and am still am in awe that I am on Jesus’ prayer list…Hallelujah!!   "I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message.  John 17:20

1 comment:

  1. Donna, I have given you the Liebster Award. Read my latest blog post to see what to do with the award! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete