Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day


Back in the town where I grew up, Memorial Day was a major event.  In addition to being the official start of summer, there was a parade, picnics and the ceremonial laying of a poppy wreath at the Winged Victory statue. Today we still take time off, but I’m not sure how much "remembering" goes on. 

 I’ll be the first to admit, I used to consider it merely a vacation day. Several years ago, while visiting Normandy, we stopped by the American cemetery there, since then, I take time to remember.  We arrived at dusk, just as the Stars and Stripes were being lowered to the strains of Taps.  Surrounding us were row upon row of simple white crosses, and Star of David markers. Immediately to the north was a beautiful, wide beach bordering the calm English Channel.  On this lovely spring day it was hard to imagine that over 60 years ago, the waters churned with landing crafts, while the beach and bucolic French countryside turned crimson with the blood of dead, dying and wounded soldiers.  Many of the lost where sent home for burial, but thousands remained in France.  The French government, in gratitude for those brave men’s sacrifice, gifted those peaceful acres to the United States. 

 I can‘t even imagine the terror that those young men experienced as they ran off those conveyances.  So much carnage, and yet it did buy peace, for a short time.  No soldier’s death has ever, nor will ever, ensure lasting peace on earth.  Our promise of peace lies not in this world, but the next.  Christ paid the price for that freedom with his shed blood. So take time today to honor the memory of fallen heroes, and everyday our risen Savior.  “The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father." John 10:16-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment