Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Trust Me


Back in New York, where I grew up, we lived in a big old house built in the late 1700s.  It sat regally on almost an acre of ground, yes in New York!  There was a massive rock wall in front of the property, where my two sisters and I would wait for our daddy to return from work in the evening. He put in long, tiring days, but he always had time to play with us before lights out.  Tickle trap, red rover, badminton and ping pong were perennial favorites, and then there was Trust Me.  Every so often daddy would ask us to stand on the wall, and without looking back, let ourselves fall into his outstretched  arms.  Now you would think that would be a simple thing…not so.  No matter how much we loved and trusted our dad, fear of cracking our heads always trumped trust.  We’d perch ourselves on that 3 foot high barrier, checking and rechecking to see if he was still in catch position.  He always was.  How he had the patience to put up with our lack of faith still amazes me.  Now, after having been a Christian for over 40 years, there are still times that I feel like I’m standing with wobbly legs on that wall, looking back over my shoulder to see if God is there.  When those faith-trying times come, I take a deep breath and fall back.  Just like my earthly dad never failed me, my heavenly Father’s strong arms have caught me every time! “The eternal God is your refuge, and his everlasting arms are under you..” Deuteronomy 33:27

No comments:

Post a Comment