Wednesday, August 29, 2012

It's in the Genes!!


One of my favorite subjects was genetics.  In high school biology I  recall learning about Gregor Mendel, the Augustinian friar, who later became known as the founder of this new branch of science.  In his experiments, with plants and flowers, he concluded that through pollination, each of the 2 “crossed” plants brought its own set of identities, to the new hybrid variety.  For instance crossing a red flower with a white would produce some white, some red and, low and behold, a pink,  a hybrid, or mutation of the parents.  We can clearly see this in human beings,  eye color, skin, height etc.  The mother and father each bring unique qualities through their single strands of DNA.  The two strands twist together in the newly created individual to form the DNA double helix.  Now I don’t claim to be a geneticist,  but this much I know; humanly speaking, I am a product of my parent’s DNA. Lately, God has inspired me to consider DNA while pondering my personal relationship with him. Yes, I am a slave to the traits I received from my parents, but God wants to make us into new individuals when we enter into intimate, saving union with him.  No, we can’t eliminate frizzy hair or bad vision, instead God gives us His perfect strand of genetic material, Jesus.  I imagine it being a third cord intertwined with mine, in essence making me into a new “hybrid” creation.  Sure I still look and sound like the original me, but now Christ  influences  my speech, actions and behaviors.  How cool is that!!!   Not only am I totally remodeled, but I possess a supernatural strength because of that additional strand.  “….a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12.  There‘s lots of talk these days about genetic engineering, scientifically manipulating seed and livestock to add desirable characteristics, and eliminate the weaker ones. Well, consider me transformed by my Creator! “What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.” Galatians 6:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment