Friday, October 12, 2012

Filtered Lives


Here’s a public service announcement for all of you: Have you changed your furnace filter recently?  It’s a new season, and the perfect time to pop in a fresh, clean one.  When you pull the old one out, take a minute and look at all the dirt trapped in it.  Amazing, isn’t it?  Without that piece of cardboard and paper, your expensive furnace unit would be a mess, maybe even inoperable or a fire hazard!!  God loves to reveal himself to me in the most mundane places, and this analogy had to be one of the “mundanest”!!  OK, here goes.  Imagine yourself in the role of the furnace, and the Holy Spirit will be the filter.  Just like the mechanical version, we have a function.  We can’t work at peak efficiency if the debris of the world, sin, is allowed to be sucked in. When we are filled with His power, He immediately begins to purify our thoughts and actions in the same way a filter operates.  I’ve noticed, in my own life, that as I grow in relationship with my Savior, that my filter is becoming finer and finer.  More and more “gunk” is captured before it hits my delicate workings.  As I allow him the freedom to do His work, I am able to function at optimum performance, without the hindering influence of sin.  There was a time when I thought a spaghetti strainer-sized filter would suffice.  It won’t work on a furnace, and it sure did me no good.  As Christians we should be living His life, thinking His thoughts and doing His work, and it can’t be done effectively without His purifying influence. “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:” Philippians 2:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment