Thursday, October 4, 2012

Frank and Me!


Today is my 63rd birthday, and I’m not ashamed to proclaim it!!  I always like to know what celebrities share my day, or if anything of historical value occurred, other than my arrival! A number of years ago, it was brought to my attention that I share my day with a Christian celebrity, St. Francis of Assisi. Actually, it is his Feast day, the day he entered Heaven.  If you are not familiar with this noble man, let me fill you in.  He was born Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone; 1181 – died: October 3, 1226, in Assisi, Italy.  I have visited this area, in the Umbrian countryside, it is lovely, and even today remains much like it was in the late 1100s.  Francis was born into a wealthy family who, it seems, had big plans for their son to take over the family textile business.  As a young man he was given to a life of partying and debauchery.  It wasn’t until 1204, when a serious illness led to a spiritual crisis, did the Francis, God had in mind, emerge. He soon scorned his personal wealth and chose to live a life of poverty, much to his father’s chagrin.  He is remembered for his humility and for organizing the order of Franciscans and Poor Clares.  We are probably most familiar with the peace prayer of St. Francis which begins, “ Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.”  It is a marvelous appeal to all humanity to be a part of  God’s solution to hatred, suffering, despair and doubt, by representing Christ who was just the opposite; love, healing, joy and knowledge.  We can learn so many invaluable lessons from the men and women of great faith who went before us.  One of my favorite quotes attributed to Francis is this, “Preach the gospel wherever you go, and sometimes you may even have to use words!”  Is your life so representative of Christ that it proclaims the good news non-verbally?  It should be.  I thank God for my physical life and health today, but more importantly for the new life he has given me through his son. “Twas not for deeds that we had done, but by his steadfast love alone, he saved us through a second birth, renewed us by the Spirit's work…” Titus 3:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment